The Garden.

People have requested a broader view of our gardens rather than the close ups of the current blooms. This is a quick walk around my modest property. 
The problem is that our gardens reveal their beauty seasonally, without grandiose. To be sure, we splurge for annuals here and there.
 I wonder how many people even notice this planter, but the ones that talk to me about it make me realize I do care what people think. I've liked every person that has enjoyed it enough to let me know.
Before.
I believe it was 1993 when we had our first load of wood chips delivered to kill the southeast grass.We had already planted the hedges of forsythia and rosa rugosa.
After.
Here is the current view, with redbud, iris, and lilac fading. There used to be a hedge of hibiscus, but it won't live here anymore.
 The interior view. 
Herbs and rhubarb. And of course, a random Rose of Sharon. 
 The laundry, surrounded by trillium, may apple, 
forsythia, daylily, and iris near the street.  
Raspberry and our Hugelkultur in the back 40'. Shaded by a silver oak. 
 The hugelkultur is fruitful, I really need to thin the lettuce.
 The details are what I notice. I'm often amazed at how this came to be.
This is the remaining lawn. Fading lilac and hopeful apple trees. I pull the tent caterpillars off and throw them under trucks going to the local service center.
Which brings us to the bay window garden I mulch-planted last year. To be fair, except for the trees, most of this was planted by my wife or mother nature - I often confuse the two.

Comments

  1. Goodness Jim, sure has grown since I was there. Almost looks like a forest which is delightfull. I do miss the weeping tree that used to be on the side of the house. Your lovely garden is starting to look like mine except you have more trees. The pods from the Tulip tree are so interesting. They look the spitting images of you and Vicky's life together. Happy, happy.. Thank you for taking pictures. Now just move everything to here and I will be extremely happy too. Love you both. MOM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Killingly Tomato Festival

Hello America!