Sea of Green

Apparently New Orleans and I have differing opinions about parades. New Orleans seems to think they're something good and to be had at every opportunity.  Luckily I was in town for the St. Patty's Day parade. That's ok, I get all my jazz from a Boston station.
Look ma, no hands!

Parades don't start very different here. The nearby school sends it best children to show off. The Riverdance classes are next, thanks to the Irish theme. Then the folks running for re-election. Then folks drinking beer. What?
Guess he forgot about the cozy.








That's right, they had lanyards around their necks to keep the beer cozies in reach. Did I mention the float that was selling Daiquiris to the crowd? I was too busy ogling the serving wench to notice the price list.
Supporting cast.












And the crowd. People in the crowd make the parade an event. Dressing up is a norm, beer in hand requisite. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a parade party at a turn around point on Louisiana St. Crawfish, muffalettas and beer everywhere. 


Buckets aren't big enough .
As the parade continues, it changes from that all-American elect-me theme to a salvo of tractor pulled, double decker, people carriers.  These people throw things at the crowd. Beads, silly hats, the men give flowers, women fling garters. This being and Irish event makes it a bit weird though, as a potato lands on my foot. Carrots and potatoes and even cabbages flying everywhere. A scene like this in the Northeast would have lawyers peering out from under every rock, but looking around all I see is smiles and giggles. 
Reaching for the beads.

And people jump and dance to the music emanating from every bus, each song is one of those classics that defines American DJ music for wedding and proms. Everybody reaches for beads and funny hats and cabbages. I confess, I even reached for a few beads as a memento. 
Making of with the loot.

Only in America, quite possible only in New Orleans, could this picture of a young Asian's reaction to catching a cabbage thrown by a Cajun lady in the Irish channel be taken by a German. Few cities scream melting pot like New Orleans. This parade just might encapsulate every good about this great nation. And that is, after all, what a good parade should do.


The rest of the pics I took this day are here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Killingly Tomato Festival

Hello America!