Pinhole experiments.

Click on pics to enlarge, then come back.
 I was gifted a Holga pinhole lens Christmas.
I put this $25 dollar lens on my state of the art DSLR in an attempt to break the boredom of my head cold.
 I took multiple exposures at some of my favorite shooting locations.
A real reason for milk water effects!
I let the wife drive because of my meds.
1/3 second exposure. Shorter exposure allows for more color.
 Fixed aperture, fixed focus. All one can do is set shutter speed and shoot, giving you an image equal to the worst 110 instamatic or the best Instagram filter.
1 second exposure. Longer exposure, more definition.
By the end of the session I was able to find reasonable shutter speeds, bringing back film days of light metering and strobe charts.  
I was also using live view  for the first time as it was difficult to see anything through the viewfinder.
 All in all, I may use this quite a bit as an educational device and a toy.
 I increased contrast or saturation on each of the pictures with Nikon's RAW software to get satisfactory results, just as one used the developing and printing processes back in my days of stop bath tubs.
Portrait lens? I won't be crossing that bridge.
While I'm curious to use it with my film cameras, I doubt I would get much without the instant feedback of the LCD. 
It is fun to play with the distortions and flares this lens gives.
 Most of my photography leans to a more detailed view of the world, I doubt the pinhole will be included in my grab and go bag. Perhaps if I do a wild west rodeo photoshoot it might be employed to give pics an antique hue. 
Atmosphere is the game here.
Color aberrations are as absent as glass.
The infinite focus brings detailed skies.
While the ethereal, nostalgic tone is nice,
I found myself grabbing a real lens to capture the sunset my wife found.
It allowed me to capture this mist as well as the sky.



Comments

  1. Interesting new toy but I would rather the sharp contrasts better

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Killingly Tomato Festival

Hello America!